Friday, August 17, 2012

Weekend Manager's Mailbox


Another weekend, the worst of the heat is over. Time to chill out with another edition of the highly acclaimed (cough) KSER Manager's Mailbox:

Dear Tom@KSER.org:  Aaack, I keep hearing songs I like on KSER but sometimes I can't stick around long enough to hear the name of the song or the artist. Is there a way to find out what the DJ played?  Bernie, Gold Bar

Bernie:  You can always track down our playlist online. Just go to www.kser.org and click on live playlist. You can also listen to past shows, both music shows and all of our news and public affairs programs for the past two weeks, using the radio replayer button.

Dear Tom@KSER.org:  Hi, I moved to Alaska about 2 years ago but I still listen to KSER a lot when I'm at home.  I listen online.  But, I'm on the road a lot and would like to listen on my I-phone. Is there a way to do that?  Leonard, Wasilla

Leonard: It's easy. Go to App Store. Search for the Public Radio Exchange (PRX) app. Once you get the app, simply search for and bookmark KSER and you can listen on your phone anytime, almost anywhere. Even if you go moose-hunting with you know who.

Dear Tom@KSER.org: My favorite program on KSER is Amy Goodman. I've been listening for several months now.  Can you tell me how I can learn more about her?  David, Everett

David: There are a few links and background info on Amy in this recent KSER story.  And Amy is about to launch a 2-month, 100 city tour to promote her new book she has written with Denis Moynihan. It's called The Silenced Majority. The tour includes a KSER stop in Everett just before the election on Saturday, October 27.  We're working on details and looking forward to her visit.  Stay tuned.



Dear Tom@KSER.org: I just started listening to KSER and I heard your announcers talking about ballots and voting for the board of directors?  But I don't know how you vote or what the voting is for or even what the board is really for. I love your station can you tell me more about it?  Dennis, Seattle

Dennis:  Anyone who is a member of the station is eligible to vote. And anyone who contributes at least $35 in a calendar year becomes a station member.  There's a board of directors election once per year.  The board members serve on a volunteer basis and are local citizens who help guide and control the operation and future of KSER, which is a non-profit community station.  If you'd like to become a member, you can sign up here. We mail out ballots every year at election time. And not only do you get to vote and help decide the direction of the station, you'll also be making an important and vital contribution to local community radio.

Dear Tom@KSER.org:  Not sure if you're the right guy to ask this, I love KSER but my girlfriend always switches the station to some hip-hop stuff.  Should I go along with her?  Put my foot down? Get a new girlfriend?  Any advice? Sean, Lynnwood

Sean:  I'm not the right guy. Try the Stranger.

Dear Tom@KSER.org:  Have you ever thought about playing more music from Hawaii?  I love Aloha Friday, but it's only an hour and I'm often working and miss it.  Please think about playing more!  Emma, Mill Creek

Emma:  We already do. Every weekend. Check out Da Coconut Wireless every Sunday afternoon for 2 hours at 5 p.m.

Dear Tom@KSER.org: That one DJ you guys have, Van Ramsey, has a band. I heard you guys play some of their stuff.  They are great. What's their name and where can I see them?  Luke, Lake Stevens

Luke: Van Ramsey's band is the Wild Snohomians. They play a lot of places. They're at the Everett Craft Beer Festival this Saturday; at Lake Stevens Music in the Park next Thursday; and the Evergreen State Fair next Friday...among others. They've reached a stature somewhere between the Grateful Dead and the Beatles.  Sort of.


Dear Tom@KSER.org: I saw that picture on your website earlier this week of the four outgoing members of your board of directors. I couldn't help but notice that they all are wearing the same designer eyewear. My eye prescription just changed and I need new frames. Can you tell me where I can get those?  Sasha, Everett

Sasha:  They're Versace's. Try Neiman-Marcus.

Sandy Thompson; Tom Killorin; Karen Crowley; Miriam Driss


Dear Tom@KSER.org:  Do you think maybe you overdo how often you ask for people to contribute to KSER?  Otherwise I like your blog a lot.  Mike, Arlington

Mike:  Thanks for the tip. And I like you, too. Oh, check out this cool link! 

No comments:

Post a Comment